For more information on the Snowflake Social
Call Wainwright Public Library 780-842-2673
Call Wainwright & District Parent Link Centre 780-842-2585
Call Wainwright Military Family Resource Centre 780-842-1363 ext 1253
A FREE community event for the young... and young at heart!
Family Literacy Day
Family Literacy Day is a national awareness initiative created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 and held annually on January 27 to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family.
Taking time every day to read or do a learning activity with children is crucial to a child’s development. Even just 15 minutes a day can improve a child’s literacy skills dramatically, and can help a parent improve their skills as well.
15 Minutes of Fun!
ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have "15 Minutes of Fun" learning together. Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together every day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents. Here are some great ways to get started:
- Write a joke book with your family.
- Read a bedtime story to the grown-up putting you to bed.
- Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Organize a book swap at your school.
- Make up riddles and tell them to your friends.
- Create a family book club.
- Build a drum with your family.
- Surf the Internet and learn about your favourite animal.
- Make up a song about your day to sing to your family at dinnertime.
- Write messages to your family on sticky notes and post them around the house.
- Create a story about what you’ll be doing for Family Literacy Day.
- Play a board game together.
- Build an acrostic poem using your hero’s name.
- Make an origami boat and see if it will float.
Looking for some other great ideas to download and try. Visit the HSBC Learning Activity Centre for more fun literacy activities you can complete as a family!